- Army chief, PM Nawaz to depart for Riyadh tomorrow
- Pakistani air strikes and suspected US drone attack ‘kill dozens of militants’
- Emwazi 'Best Employee We Had', Says Ex-Boss
- Teen 'planning to head to Syria'
- Maldives sees surge in young Muslims leaving for Syria
- Afghanistan conflict: Taliban declares 'defeat' of Nato
- UK Ebola patient named as Pauline Cafferkey
- Taliban kill seven Afghan police officers in raid on checkpoint
- Foreign Criminals Costing Taxpayers £850m
- Afghan opium poppy yield hits all-time high
British Mosques lauded for helping flood victims in Pakistan
In order to express gratitude to British Mosques for raising funding to help flood victims in Pakistan, Sadiq Khan MP hosted a function at the House of Commons.
The event was organised by the Pakistan Recovery Fund (PRF), a charitable body which was set up by HRH Prince of Wales specifically to help tackle the impact of the flooding in Pakistan, and was an opportunity for MPs to meet and thank representatives from the mosques which raised significant sums of money for the PRF.
Each mosque that attended the event was awarded a medal to mark their efforts by HRH Prince of Wales's senior representative, and Chairman of the PRF, John O’Brien.
As well as John O’Brien, Sadiq Khan MP was joined by Sir Iqbal Sacranie and 16 Members of Parliament in paying their respects to the wonderful work of mosques from across Britain.
Sadiq Khan MP, the first cabinet member of Pakistan decent said: “The work done by the Pakistan Recovery Fund has been quite simply incredible.
“I travelled to some of the flood-affected areas and met dozens of victims who lost friends, family members and their livelihoods.
“I am extremely proud of the hope the British public gave to thousands of people through their generous donations.
“Many people feared that the tough economic climate would limit the amount donated to the Pakistan Recovery Fund, but we saw just the opposite – despite the difficult times the British public face at home, they haven’t lost their sense of humanity.”
John O’Brien said:“On behalf of HRH The Prince of Wales I would like to extend my gratitude to the Mosques who have come together to answer the Prince’s call to action.
“Without the support of these communities we would be unable to raise awareness and build momentum for the Pakistan Recovery Fund. We are grateful for all the funds you have collected and for the future support you have pledged.
“We will ensure that your contribution goes to rebuilding the lives and homes of Pakistan ’s flood victims”